Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pumpkin Squares


Okay, so this is yum, yum, yummy! You'll never want plain old pumpkin pie, again. There are many pumpkin square dessert recipes, but this particular recipe was given to me by my college internship teacher (Thank you, Mrs. Steele!) One day, coming into work (student teaching, 2nd grade class, Florida) I had this wonderful little treat waiting for me on my desk. I inhaled it, she asked if I wanted the recipe, and the rest is history.

Notice removed cup -- save this
 for the topping!!
You'll need:


Crust

  • 1 box of yellow cake (remove 1 cup)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. melted unsalted butter

Filling


  • 1 large can of pumpkin puree (30 oz) OR 2 small cans of pumpkin puree (15 oz. each) 
(**NOTE: DO NOT GET PUMPKIN PIE MIX...I've almost made that mistake.)
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 eggs
  • 2/3 c. milk


Topping


  • 1 c. cake mix (that you removed, remember?!?)
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 c. chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts. But any, or none, would do!)

Directions:

  1. For the crust: grease 9x13 pan. Mix the yellow cake mix (except for the 1 cup you set aside), the egg, and butter. Mix together and press onto the bottom and sides of the pan.
  2. For the filling: mix pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, spices, 3 eggs, and milk. Pour over cake mix in the pan.
  3. For the topping: mix the 1 cup of cake mix, sugar, butter, and nuts. Sprinkle on top of filling.
  4. Bake at 400 F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F and bake for 40 minutes.


And there you have it! Easy as pie...pumpkin pie! I don't know if that's easy, never made it. Enjoy :)

<3 Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment