Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing


Another birthday, another cupcake! Whoa, deja vu. I'm enjoying this baking hobby... most people I know either love to bake or hate it. I think one of the reasons I like to bake is because it's a perfect gift for someone. I love to find thoughtful and clever gifts, but that can be so difficult sometimes. Baking something, that you know the recipient would like, is also a personal and thoughtful idea. You took the time to make it, and if it's delicious, it will make them happy! And, seriously, who is going to buy themselves baked goods and feel good about that decision? But... if someone made it just for you... good-bye guilt! Win-win for everyone.

SO! Carrot cake is delicious. My brother has always liked it growing up (which is who I made these for) and I always THOUGHT I hated it...maybe the carrots threw me off? But it's definitely a feel good kind of cake. It is sweet, yet has an all-spice kick...I'm surprised it's associated with Easter so much because it actually has a very Autumn/Thanksgiving/Pumpkin pie type of taste. I haven't made an actual cake with this recipe, but I will assume it would work just the same. Here is the recipe for the carrot cupcakes with cream cheese icing, which will yield about 12 cupcakes. (I made 12, but probably could have made 13 or 14 with the batter I had left.)

Cake Ingredients:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/8 cups white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups shredded carrots (I'd shred your own vs. buying pre-shredded carrots)
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
sprinkles/decorating gel/etc. (optional)

Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , room temp.
8 oz plain cream cheese , room temp.
2-3 cups confectioner's sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your muffin tray with liners.
  2. Beat together the eggs, sugars, then the oil and vanilla. Fold in carrots and pineapple.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. (Sift your dry ingredients if there are chunky pieces.)
  4. Gradually, pour and mix your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients. Fold in walnuts and raisins.
  5. Pour into muffin tray and bake for 25 minutes, or until you can slide a toothpick in the center of one and comes out clean. 
  6. Cool for about 10 minutes in trays and then remove. Wait until completely cool before icing.
  7. For the cream cheese icing: mix together the butter and cream cheese until well blended. Add vanilla and sugar. Mix well until creamy. (Use as little or as much powered sugar as you want. Some like more of a cream cheese taste, others like it really sweet. Put in a cup, try it, and add more as you prefer.)
  8. Decorate your cupcakes! However you like. I used sprinkles and decorating gel.

Enjoy. 

<3 Katie





No comments:

Post a Comment