Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Teacher Haul August 2013

So, I've been posting a lot of desserts and figured I'd update some other areas of interest. Unfortunately, I did not get my own classroom for the 2013-2014 school year. But I am still a substitute, got a tutoring job, planning for graduate school, and not giving up on my teaching hopes. 

So it goes...

Here are a few things I've collected recently, and not so recently:


Thank-you notes! Most of these I bought (Target and Hallmark) and one was a gift. There are some seriously adorable cards out there. And if you're a nice teacher, you'll be using these quite a bit. Not just for parents or other teachers, but for students. My mother always had me write thank-you's and I'm glad she did; it's thoughtful and polite, and I think most people appreciate it, especially children. I almost shouldn't have written a few to my kids because I wound up getting thank-you notes for my thank-you notes! But making a child feel appreciated, as well as, modeling good character goes a million miles in my book. Don't forget to appreciate children as you would adults! And getting your kids to write thank-you's is a sweet habit to encourage.


Here are three of about 15 flashcard sets I bought at Target. They were in the discount bins right when you walk into the store. I browse these little aisles from time to time because I find the CHEAPEST things ever that are perfect for a classroom. From toys, to flashcards, to holiday items... there's always a deal on something I could use. I think these were each about $1 or less.


One of my favorite teacher activities is to create bulletin boards. This is my collection of trims, so far. Many classrooms have a "theme" but because I don't have my own classroom yet, I stay clear of the Dr. Suess/Charlie Brown/Frogs...whatever stuff. Picking a theme now, I'm bound to be sick of the idea in due time. I just buy ones that are attractive and colorful. Also, seasonal trims are always appropriate.


Books! And lots of them. For teachers and parents: you can get great condition, popular books at consignment shops. Practically all of these are from Once Upon a Child. And they range from 50 cents to $1.50 each. 


Here is a glimpse of some random things I've collected over time. Remember Mad Libs? I actually used this when I taught preschool and the kids loved it! And hey, if a child says "boogers" for a noun, go for it. You know it's funny. The little stress squeezers might be a helpful tool for children who need to "cool off"... if they don't throw them at you. I also have a handful of toys and games for indoor recess/centers/prize boxes. And finally, the witch fingers are an October-appropriate way to track reading.

Teachers spend a lot of their own money on their students. It's a choice, but it's also the only way to get things we want. If your a parent, a wonderful way to help out is gift certificates to some of the places teachers shop often... Target, Walmart, Michaels, Barnes and Noble, www.reallygoodstuff.com, etc. Or, you can simply ask your child's teacher what they might need in the classroom. Don't ever feel obligated to help out; schools help out a little bit and we can claim a certain amount on our taxes. And I know you already drop some cash on school supplies. But every little bit counts!!

Well, to wrap this up, here's a little note I received from one of my second graders last year. I wasn't angry with her, but she had done something sneaky and the next day she gave this to me. Handmade envelope and all. Oh, children... gotta love 'em.

"Dear Ms. Gottchalk, I am sorry for what I have done. I promise not to do it again. Can you forgive me? Your Student, ***"

<3 Katie





No comments:

Post a Comment