Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Keep Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

So...I made another box.

This style of crafting you are more than likely to have seen before. Many stores actually sell mirrors, trashcans, picture frames, etc. with this rolled up effect. With a surface to cover and a little patience, you can skip the store and go straight to the hot glue with this idea.

Photo Courtesy of www.apartmenttherapy.com


What You Need:
  • Surface to Cover ( I used a box)
  • Paper ( I used a college catalog because I liked the look and it didn't roll too thick. And I don't need it.)
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
  • Regular Elmer's Glue (I prefer stick versus liquid)
  • Scissors
Other Things I Used:
  • Folk Art Paint ( Magenta and Light Pink)
  • Design Masters Silver Glitter Spray




Note: Think about the style, texture, thickness, length you want
for your surface. 
I liked the college catalog paper because
 it was like newspaper; easy to work with and thin.
Let's Get Started...

1. First, you need to create your straws. The thicker the straw, the harder it will be to cut. I ripped out a bunch of pages and cut each page into even thirds (similar to the picture at right). This allowed me to use pretty thin straws that were long enough for my box. To roll the straw, start from the corner. This will create a longer, thinner piece. After rolling the piece, use a little Elmer's glue to secure it.

2. Now you need to think about your design. I took the random approach. You can measure out the straw and hot glue it on, or just hot glue it on and trim the sides afterwards. I did both. You will be cutting straight and diagonal ends on your straws, depending on your placement.


Note: The longer the straw, the bigger the loop.






3. Here is another idea using your straws. Take a straw and roll it around a pencil. Pull it off of the pencil, rework the roll and glue the end to secure the loop. I hot glued my loops onto my box.











4. Lastly, I sprayed the top of my box with glitter spray and painted the rest of the box.You may choose to cover your entire surface with straws, use actual straws, add hardware, paint everything, use only loops, etc. etc. etc.



The creative part is up to you :)

<3 Katie







No comments:

Post a Comment